December 30th, 2016
TAX TIP OF THE DAY... today is Salvation Army day!
Don't fold it, don't sort it, don't count it-- just bag it and go. These are my suggestions to put an extra $25 in your pocket per Hefty bag:
1) Go today. Tomorrow (12/31) will have long lines and some drop off centers close early 12/31.
2) Avoid drop boxes... full tax deduction is not available.
3) Get a receipt to take home and fill out... # of bags and condition is required. If you have the patience, find a free web site calculator to help you calculate value. Easy less accurate way... $100 per Hefty bag. Discuss the reisks of this shortcut with your tax preparer.
4) Take a photo with your phone to demonstrate quantity and condition of donations. You gave some nice stuff! Make sure your photo makes it look that way.
5) Salvation Army on Trindle Road in Camp Hill offers hassle free drop offs with easy receipts.
6) avoid chit chat with the donation center workers... they are tired and not in the mood to appreciate your cashmere sweater that you received as a gift, only wore once and put on a wooden hanger that goes with it. He's going to throw it in the box with the $2 sweat shirt. Sorry. He is not the one getting it, so don't expect a huge thank you. Keep the line moving for the sake of taxpayers behind you. You never know when this guy may explode... it may be drop off #157 that day... it may be with the guy behind you who used 15 small Giant supermarket bags... it might even be with you. Just get your receipt, smile, pass GO and collect your $200 at tax time.
SHARE WITH A FRIEND.
If you need any help... www.baboiancpa.com
Comments are closed.
David S. Baboian, CPA